There are 15 actual evidences that prove Wednesday Addams is sweet. We all know how indifferent, sarcastic and cutting she can be. But, there are times she demonstrates the protective, caring and loving side that is uniquely hers. Watching through Tim Burton’s 8-episode series Wednesday on Netflix, people can’t help but root for the stoic yet headstrong young goth lady.
We know Wednesday Addams to be the overbearing, obsessively persistent, darkly disturbed teenager in Nevermore High. Not a lot of people see her as an affectionate big sister or supportive bestie. They might just have to look at Enid for that. In fact, it’s glaringly in the viewers’ face that the two ladies are as different as night and day in their room.
15 Evidences That Prove Wednesday Is Actually Sweet
But, watching the series, you will notice Wednesday demonstrate sweetness the way she knows how. Here are the 15 moments we found as evidences of Wednesday being sweet. They are listed in order they appeared in the show:
- Right off the bat, she avenges her little brother. Furthermore, being the big sister, she keeps teaching Pugsley to be strong. He is an Addams after all. Torturing Pugsley is pretty much her language of love. She wants her little brother to toughen up. But for times that he can’t defend himself, she will come to his rescue, if not, exact his revenge. She did so, just swimmingly!
- Ok, this may not be sweet but it goes under the category of Wednesday cares. Wednesday doesn’t let bullying happen when she’s around. For Pugsley she is ready to be the cause of someone’s demise. For a person she just happens to meet, she will draw swords against the bully. When Rowan faced Bianca during the fencing scene, Wednesday took it upon herself to teach Bianca she is not without an equal.
- As early as the first episode, she actually let Enid into her inner circle. Possibly even before the time she told her about the tragedy of Nero, Wednesday already took Enid in as her friend. Sharing the story to Enid is a gem of information not even her therapist got to extract.
- Still being the champion of bullies, Wednesday doesn’t stand idly by when commercialism takes advantage of history. Displaying her genius in speaking foreign languages she shed the truth about Ye Olde Fudgery to tourists. It was actually a win for her that she didn’t contribute to the sale of those fudge.
- Wednesday’s got her bestie’s heart protected. In Episode 3 with 9 minutes and 28 seconds left to the episode, Wednesday showed how sweet she is to her roomie. She told her that if her date breaks her heart, she nail-guns his. Ain’t that such Wednesday sweetness?
- Wednesday is also considerate. When Enid kept needing smelling salts whenever she saw the ‘kill board’ Wednesday has put together, she moved it in the Hummer’s headquarters.
- Miss Addams is not indifferent and insensitive at all. She even took interest in what is troubling Bianca during the dance. Granted, everything and everyday in Nevermore could be a clue to her solving the case, she welcomed Bianca’s side to the story. Somehow, even with their previous clashes she still gives Bianca the benefit of the doubt.
- Everyday she stopped by the hospital to visit Eugene. Sure, it could be just in case the monster comes to finish what he or she started. But, Eugene is among the few people whom Wednesday connected with from the beginning. She knows his predicament happened because of her. His condition only strengthened Wednesday’s resolve to put an end to the case.
- Wednesday appreciates her dad, Gomez. Everything he did, she knew was only to prepare her for the harsh world. Because of it, she was ready for the challenge.
- Pugsley missing Wednesday is evidence that the siblings care for each other. The sweet moment they have at the pond showed Wednesday reinforcing her intent to strengthen her younger brother.
- Wednesday told Enid not to use the tape for their room borderline when she came back after ‘the incident’. Her way of saying welcome back to being roomies again.
- Wednesday values her friendship with Enid. In fact, she said Enid is unforgettable to her. Indelible was the word she used. 38 minutes and 20 seconds left to the final episode, Wednesday told Enid the many ways she will be reminded of her for the rest of her life.
- She would take an arrow for a friend. You know when this happened.
- She returned Enid’s hug even tighter.
- Wednesday accepts gifts in good faith. If she doesn’t like the gift, she finds a way to somehow ‘lose’ it. But she doesn’t throw it away while the gift-giver is within sight.
15 Evidences That Prove Wednesday Is Actually Sweet
Of all the 15 moments, my favorite is #5. In fact, that is the moment that inspired us to make this list in the first place. The moment was just fleeting and anyone watching could barely notice it. But is it testament to how fiercely loyal Wednesday can be.
Yes, she doesn’t indulge with trivial nonsensical societal norms. That is because she knows there are more valuable and pressing concerns that need her attention. And means to do them more as a way to save herself along with everyone she values even if they disagree. This is why one cannot help but love Wednesday. We understand how Gomez can miss his “little viper”, “little storm cloud” and many more endearments, all those times she was in Nevermore.
Season 2 is already in the writer’s room and we are already missing Wednesday’s ‘accusing eyes and youthful sneer’. Netflix’s Wednesday Season 1 is now available for streaming, starring the phenomenal Jenna Ortega as the Addams Family’s eldest daughter. Rounding up her family are Catherine Zeta-Jones as Morticia, Luis Guzman as Gomez and Isaac Ordonez as Pugsley. In the Nevermore community, they have Gwendoline Christie as Principal Weems and, former Wednesday herself, Christina Ricci as Ms. Thornhill. Emma Myers, Hunter Doohan, Percy Hynes White, Joy Sunday and Moosa Mostafa are but few of the Nevermore student body.
We woe forward to more sinister adventures.